Monday, July 21, 2014

Ted Talk clip day 1 response & reflection

I sit here a bit perplexed at what is being illuminated in some of the videos we just watched.  When I visualize a graphic that puts students at the center as the "Learning to Change, Changing to Learn" clip suggested,  and attach connecting lines/bridges to all the places they learn...libraries, museums, communities, online, TV, etc...it seems endless!  The larger concept that has struck me, is the suggestion that school is no longer the sole place where students are being educated, and even further being educated effectively!

Schools are still disciplining students for using electronic devices rather than utilizing this type of technology to enhance learning. Many of us still do it! As questioned in class, is it about time and space to develop these pathways?  Is this one part of a larger equation?  As a mode that will reach a learner in seconds, the possibilities are endless...right? So what would our America look like if we used Technology in the way the Ted Talks offered? 

I imagine a world, one with fluidity, where we can "inspire, inform, address, contrast," and much more to reach generations after generations with such advancements in Tech.  High interest does equal education! However, I cannot imagine a world without the live human/teacher/in a classroom contact aspect of things. This is what I think I heard Sygata Mitra hinting upon in "The Child Driven Education" Ted Talk.  The reason I say that human contact is critical pertains specifically to the trust and safety built from observation, interaction, and face to face with a child/young adult that has been abused, suffers from mental illness, etc... I am curious how online learning/Tech could even begin to touch this issue?

Lastly, I have my suspicions, but am still trying to work through the who, how and why these decision makers (small minority) have so much power over us, the (larger population) to standardize education in the way they have?   I agree with Sir Ken Robison, get back to the Organic, Organic, Organic...process rather than the standardized, linear approach! So many of our minds want to naturally work this way anyhow! In dealing with opposition, I have learned that to dismantle, one must know it well, and counter well.  The more we who have the numbers speak our truth through rapid technology, my hope is we will regain what perhaps we once had before the standardization period, which is freedom and fluidity of thought and consciousness driven by passion.  

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful response. Let's keep working at "dismantling" as you say, and find the "sweet spot" of organic-based learning. It's will be hard work and take creative, thoughtful minds like yours. Great to have you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's critical and yet almost impossible to get to the organic, agricultural-based model of education when we find ourselves in the midst of a standards-based, high-stakes world of accountability. I agree with you 100% and yet I'm at a loss for how to move forward to create the right conditions for growth when we have a factory-based model of education. Exciting and scary at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't help but wonder if our society's decision making isn't commonly made as reactions to the negative or tragedies of our culture. Have we standardized because of really awful schools and teaching? Have we created these robust, standardized teaching practices to try and create equality, fairness and quality? Or is it fear based? Perhaps due to schools sharing racism, biases, and close-minded dogma our society has tried to combat this through a factory like system of education. I know I do cheer when I hear about those small town school boards being upended when they try to influence curriculum to favor their personal religious or political beliefs.

    ReplyDelete